The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and with part of the rectory is episcopally united to the vicarage of Rosskeen, forming the union of Clonmeen, in the patronage of the Bishop; the other portion of the rectory is appropriate to the economy estate of the cathedral of St. Colman, Cloyne. The tithes amount to £415. 9. 3.; and the gross value of the tithes of the benefice is £369. 4.7½. The church is an old dilapidated building, without a tower, and was the burial-place of the O'Callaghans: it has been recently condemned, and it is expected that a new one will shortly be erected.
In the R. C. divisions that portion of the parish lying north of the Blackwater forms part of the union or district of Castle-Magner; the remainder is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Kilcorney, and containing two chapels, one in each parish; the chapel of Clonmeen, at Bantyre Cross, is a large edifice lately built, and adjoining it is a commodious house, erected by the late Rev. Myles Bourke, parish priest, who bequeathed it for the benefit of his suc cessors. A parochial school has been recently built and is supported by subscription; and there are several private schools, in which are about 250 children. On one of the Gurtmore rocks, on the south side of the Blackwater, stand the remains of the castle of Clon-meen, near which several cannon balls have been lately discovered.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clonmeen to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W4068894431 (Lat/Lon: 52.09912, -8.866237), Clonmeen which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
540688,594431and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)