A large quantity of butter is made here for the Cork market. There are some quarries of limestone and brown building stone, also a quarry of slate, of very indifferent quality. The tide comes up the Fanisk to Inchiquin Castle, admitting large boats and lighters. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Crown; the tithes amount to £869. 2. 4½., and the glebe comprises 30 acres. The church is a very old and inconvenient building, situated at one extremity of the parish, and inaccessible during a portion of the winter; it is in contemplation to erect another on a more eligible site. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Youghal; the chapel is at Gartrough or Yurtroe. There is a school, -aided by an annual donation from Lord Ponsonby, in which about 140 children are instructed; also a private pay school, in which are about 80 children. On the bank of the river Fanisk are the ruins of Inchiquin Castle, now called Inchiquin Tower, consisting of a round tower 9 yards in diameter, of which the walls are more than 12 feet thick: it is the property of Lord Ponsonby, and was formerly the head of a barony called Inchicoigne; it is still the head of a manor, for which courts are held at Killeagh, in the adjoining parish of that name.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clonpriest to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference X0550776289 (Lat/Lon: 51.93923, -7.920651), Clonpriest which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
605507,576289and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)