This small parish is situated on the road from Charleville to Liscarrol, and contains 1130 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £1539 per annum for the county cess. The land, which is extremely rich, is partly in. pasture, and the portion under tillage produces excellent crops; the system of agriculture is slowly improving. A stratum of limestone gravel extends into the parish, and is chiefly used for repairing the roads; and there are indications of culm at Milltown. The principal seats are Cooline House, the residence of R, Weldon, Esq.; and Milltown Castle, of G. Bruce, Esq., a handsome castellated mansion in the later English style. It is in the diocese of Cloyne, and is a rectory, constituting the corps of the prebend of Cooline in the cathedral of Cloyne, in the gift of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £70. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Ballyhea. The ruins of the church still remain in the ancient burial-ground.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cooliney to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R5113719178 (Lat/Lon: 52.322511, -8.717347), Cooliney which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
551137,619178and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)