On the hanks of a pretty glen is Ballyre, the residence of Crofton Uniacke, Esq.; and not far distant is Glengarra, of J. Uniacke, Esq.; these seats are surrounded by flourishing plantations, and are undergoing great im provements. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £155. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe; the Protestant inhabi tants attend divine service at Castlemartyr. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or dis trict of- Killeagh, but there is no chapel here. There are two pay schools, in which are about 40 boys and 20 girls. The ruins of the old church form an interesting object; and near Glengarra are some remains of a cas tle, built by one of the Geraldines, in 1396; it was gar risoned by the Earl of Desmond against Queen Eliza beth, but was taken by Capt.. Raleigh, and shortly afterwards was retaken by the Irish under McCarty, who, being obliged to abandon it, destroyed it by fire.
It gave name to the whole district, called Old Castletown though now known as Glengarra.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Dangandonovan to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W9733182010 (Lat/Lon: 51.990665, -8.039584), Dangandonovan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
597331,582010and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)