It is situated on the bay of Clonakilty, and comprises 582 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £401 per annum. Although elevated, about half of it is under tillage, principally for wheat and potatoes; and the remainder is mountain pasture. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ross, and forms part of the union of Kilgarriffe; the rectory is appropriate to the Dean of Ross. The tithes amount to £75, of which £40 is payable to the appropriator, and £35 to the vicar.
In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Clonakilty. On an elevated site near the shore are the ruins of a church, which measured only about 20 feet by 12.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Desert to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W4015241345 (Lat/Lon: 51.622012, -8.864868), Desert which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
540152,541345and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)