It comprises 32,169 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £12,635. 16.9. per ann.
About a seventh part of the land is fertile and well cultivated, but the greater part consists of mountain pasture and bog: much of the former, however, affords good herbage for large herds of cattle and goats; and a considerable part of the district of Kladach, containing about 2200 acres of rough moorland, might be reclaimed at a moderate expense. Slate is found in several places, also white clay of a tenacious quality; and near Drishane Castle is a bed of good limestone. The gentlemen's seats are Drishane Castle, the residence of H.
Wallis, Esq.; Coole House, of H. O'Donnell, Esq.; Mount Leader, of H. Leader, Esq.; Rathduane, of J. E.
McCarty, Esq.; Coomlagane, of J. McCarthy O'Leary, Esq.; Coole, of H. O'Donnell, Esq.; and the glebehouse, of the Rev. F. Cooper. The parish is in the diocese of Ardfert; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Donoughmore, and the vicarage was united, in 1760, to that of Nohoval-daly, together forming the union of Drishane, in the patronage of the Bishop. The 3 S tithes amount to £630, and are equally divided between the impropriator and the vicar; the tithes of the benefice amount to £455. There is a glebe-house with a glebe of 26 acres. The church, situated in Millstreet, is a large edifice with a square tower, in the Gothic style; A grant of £112. 17. 6. has been recently made by the Ecclesiastical Board for its repair. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of the union or district of Millstreet, which also comprises the greater part of the parish of Cullen: the chapel is at Millstreet, and there is also a chapel at Cullen. The parochial school, in Millstreet, is supported by H. Wallis, Esq., and the vicar. A schoolhouse is about to be erected at Coomlegan, for which Mrs. McCarty, of Glyn, in 1811, bequeathed two acres of land and £40 per annum. There are also two private schools, and the number of children educated in the parish is about 150. Drishane Castle, which is in good repair, was erected by Dermot McCarty in 1436: his descendant, Donagh McCarty, was engaged in the war of 1641, by which he forfeited the estate: in the demesne are the ruins of the old parochial church. Of Kilmeedy castle, which, was built by one of the McCarty family, in 1445, to command the wild mountain pass from Macroom to Killarney, the ruins still remain in the valley, near the mail coach road. See MILLSTREET.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Drishane to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W2470888428 (Lat/Lon: 52.043234, -9.09807), Drishane which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
524708,588428and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)