Hide

Dunbulloge

hide
Hide
DUNBOLLOGE, or CARRIGNAVAR, a parish, chiefly in the barony of EAST-MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, but partly in the county of the city of CORK, and partly in the barony of BARRYMORE, 5 miles (N.) from Cork, on the road to Mallow; containing 4634 inhabitants. This place is said to have been the scene of a battle which took place on the confines of the parish in 1649, between the forces of Cromwell and the Irish, in which the latter were defeated.

The parish comprises 15,749 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £7262 per annum.

The surface is hilly, and in some parts mountainous; the soil on the hills is light and stony, but of much better quality in the valleys; there is a large extent of bog, supplying the vicinity with abundance of cheap fuel; the reclaimable mountain is constantly being brought into cultivation or planted. Indications of coal have been observed in Glassaboy mountain, but no means have yet been taken to trace them; there are also quarries of limestone and some of clay-slate, which is used for building and repairing the roads. Carrignavar, the seat of Justin McCarty, Esq., a descendant of the ancient royal house of the McCartys of Cork or South Desmond, is an old mansion pleasantly situated above a romantic glen, and surrounded by a very extensive demesne, richly cultivated and planted, finely embellished with stately timber, and commanding some pleasing views.

The manufacture of cotton and worsted hose is carried on to a small extent, under the patronage and support of Mrs. McCarty, for the employment of the poor. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Cork, and is one of the five parishes which constitute the union of St. Peter, and the corps of the archdeaconry of Cork, in the patronage of the bishop: the tithes amount to £461. 10. 9, A church has been recently built at Carrignavar by subscription, to which the incumbent and Justin McCarty, Esq., were the principal contributors; the latter gave the site. It is for the use of the parishes of Dunbolloge and St. Michael. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union of Upper Glanmire: at Carrignavar is a neat chapel in the early English style, with a porch at the western entrance, and a minaret rising from the gable of the roof. The parochial school is a large and handsome edifice, built by Justin McCarty, Esq., who has endowed it with two acres of land; and the female school is patronised by Mrs.

McCarty. About 100 children are educated in three other public schools, besides which there is a Sunday school, supported by the rector. See CARRIGNAVAR.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

Hide
topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Dunbulloge which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W6738885776 (Lat/Lon: 52.023559, -8.475812), Dunbulloge which are provided by: