It consists of several detached portions, and has consequently a great variety of surface and.soil; Dunderrow proper is generally composed of a light soil, which is very well cultivated, and produces abundant crops.
A new line of road is in progress through the parish, leading from Kinsale to Bandon. In the Bandon river, which bounds it on the south, are several salmon weirs.
The principal residences are Leoffney House, that of E. Gillman, Esq.; Killaney, of T. Markham, Esq.; Ballyvrin, of W. Dorman, Esq.; Dunderrow Cottage, of the Rev. R. Halburd; Ballinphilleck, of W. Barter, Esq.; Corron, of J. Horneybrooky, Esq.; Gortnaclough, of W. Beasley, Esq.; Hop Island, of G. Edwards, Esq.; and the glebe-house, of the Rev.M, O'Donovan: besides several good houses belonging to respectable farmers, The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of T. C. Kearney, Esq., of Garretstown: the tithes amount to £525, of which £150 is payable to the dean and chapter of St. Finbarr's, Cork, and the remainder to the rector, The glebehouse was built by aid of a gift of £250 and a loan of £550, from the late Board of First Fruits, in 182l: the glebe comprises 24a. 3r. 27p. The church, a small handsome edifice, with a lofty square tower, was erected by aid of a loan of £500, in 1812, from the same Board.
In the churchyard is a handsome pyramidal monument of marble, erected over the remains of an English lady, who died at Kinsale while on a tour through Ireland, In the R. C. divisions the parish forms the union or district of Kinsale, but the detached portions belong to the several parishes by which they are surrounded: the chapel is at Ballynamona. The parochial school, situated at Leoffney, is jointly supported by Capt. Herri ck and the rector; and there is a daily pay school at Ballynamona. About 100 boys and 40 girls are educated, in a private school; and a Sunday school is chiefly maintained by the Rev. Robert Halburd. The doon, from which the parish derives its name, has been partly removed: the queen's forces secured themselves upon it in 1601, prior to the siege of Kinsale, when the Spanish forces were in possession.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Dunderrow to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W5911958266 (Lat/Lon: 51.77578, -8.593006), Dunderrow which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
559119,558266and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)