GARRYCLOYNE, a parish, partly in the barony of BARRETTS, but chiefly in that of EAST-MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (N. W.) from Cork, on the road to Kanturk; contain ing, with the village of Blarney (which is described under its own head), 2027 inhabitants. It comprises 3530.statute acres, as applottcd under the tithe, act, and valued at £1870 per annum. There; are several extensive dairy farms, and the butter is held in high repute: the cattle are well stalled and fed with clover, turnipns, and tares. Agriculture has much improved within the last, few years, and the farms, particularly those belonging to the gentry, are well cultivated: the principal manure is lime. A large quantity of limestone is procured on the demesne of Blarney, the only place abounding with it; from Cork to Mallow: good manure is also obtained from the cuttle stalls, The establish ment of a fanning society, excellent roads, and other advantages have combined to improve the system of farming, but in some instances the old method is still pursued. There is neither mountain nor bog in the parish. The line of the intended canal from Cork to Limerick passes through it; and there are boultingmills capable of producing 6000 barrels of flour annu ally. In the parish are several gentlemen's seats: Blarney Castle is described in the account of that village, to the north of which is Putland's Glen, the residence of George Jeffreys, Esq., by whom it; was planted, and who holds a lease of it from Mr. Futland, whose ancestor was a member of the Hollow Sword Blade Company, and a large portion of this parish was allotted to him; it originally formed part of the Clancarthy estate, which being confiscated in 1692, was pur chased from the Government by the company, To the north of the parish is the manor-house and castle of Garrycloyne, the property of John. Travers, Esq., whose ancestor obtained a grant of it in 1604: the castle is a lofty.square, tower, built in 1535 by the Clancarthys; the house is.spacious and well built on rising ground looking over a fine lawn of more than 100 acres, sur rounded by fine plantations. Abbeyville is the neat of the Rev. W. Stopford. The living in a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, united at a very early period to the rectory and vicarage of Grenaugh. and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £512, and of the whole benefice to £1562; there is a glebe of' 21 acres, The glebe-house was erected in 1807, by aid of a gift of £100 and a loan of £800 from the late Board of First Fruits. The church is a handsome building of the Doric order, situated on riwng ground commanding a view of the village and plains. In the R. C. divisions the parish is united with Whitechurch: the chapel, a neat Gothic structure, towards the erection of which Mr. Putland contributed £200, is situated at the northern extremity of Putland's Glen. The male and female parochial schools are in the village of Blarney, and are supported entirely by the rector, who provides a house rent-free for the master and mistress; he also supports a Sunday school. Adjoining the R. C. chapel is a na tional school, a large building recently erected.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Garrycloyne to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W6069677730 (Lat/Lon: 51.950814, -8.572375), Garrycloyne which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
560696,577730and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)