Archdeacon Ryder -, and Holly Hill, of S. Croker, Esq.
It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, united from an early period to the rectory and vicarage of Desert, forming the corps of the archdeaconry of Cloyne, in the gift of the bishop: the tithes of the united parishes amount to £415. 7. 8. There is neither glebehouse nor glebe. The church was built in 1826. In the R.C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Rathcormac, and contains a chapel. There is a parochial school of about 20 children, to which the rector contributes £5 annually, and a private school of about 60 children.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Gortroe to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W6744288811 (Lat/Lon: 52.050832, -8.47532), Gortroe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
567442,588811and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)