Low, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, forming part of the union of Garrycloyne: the tithes amount to £1050; there is a glebe of 15 acres.
In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Mourne, or Ballinamona, and has a large plain chapel at South Grenagh. The parochial schools are supported by the rector, and there are three private schools, at which about 240 children attend during the summer.
At Dawestown is an extraordinary flowering lime tree, with 16 very large and wide-spreading branches. The gables and side walls of the church are nearly entire; and there are remains of druidical altars at Lyradan, Knockantoha, and Glauncoum, and several forts and raths.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Grenagh to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W5799185058 (Lat/Lon: 52.016474, -8.612616), Grenagh which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
557991,585058and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)