The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
In 1868, the parish of Inchigeelagh contained the following places:
"INCHIGEELAGH, (or Eveleary), a parish in the baronies of East Carbery and West Muskerry, county Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 6 miles W.S.W. of Mucroom, its post town. It is 9 miles long by 6 broad. The parish consists of a wild and mountainous district. Within its limits rises the river Lea, and here are the lakes Gougane-Barra and Allua; the former is about 1 mile long by half a mile broad. In the lake lies a small island connected with the shore by a causeway, which legend asserts to have been the retreat of St. Finbar. There are some remains of a hermitage which was occupied by O'Mahony in the last century. The peasantry formerly made an annual pilgrimage here to do honour to the patron saint. The pass of Cooleagh occurs on the road from Macroom to Bantry, and is one of the most remarkable ravines in Ireland. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Cork, value £380, in the patronage of the bishop. The church was built in 1815 by means of a loan from the late Board of First Fruits. There are two commodious Roman Catholic chapels; likewise three schools under the National Board, a private and a Sunday school. On rising ground near the river stands Carrinacurra Castle, which belonged to the O'Learys, the ancient lords of the soil, and from whom the district was formerly named, Fairs are held on the 31st May, 31st August, and the 3rd December.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018