W. Beresford, is delightfully situated on the river Lee, to the margin of which the lawn and shrubberies extend in beautiful contrast with the steep and rocky mountains on the opposite bank, which rise to a considerable elevation and are partially ornamented with plantations; the house commands a beautiful view of the vale formed by the ranges of hills on each side of the river. At the western extremity of the parish are the Dripsey paper-mills, belonging to Messrs.
Magnay and Co., and situated in a deep and wellwooded glen; the buildings are of handsome appearance, and the works afford employment to a number of persons, varying from 70 to 100, in the manufacture of large quantities of paper for the English market. In another part of the parish is a small stream which turns the Cloghroe boulting-mills, which are capable, when there is a sufficient supply of water, of producing 140 sacks of flour weekly. A new line of road has been formed to facilitate the communication of this parish and the neighbouring district with the parish of Macroom. A manorial court is held by the seneschal of the manor. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, united by act of council to the rectory and vicarage of Mattehy and the chapelry of Kilmurry, which together constitute the union, and the corps of the prebend of Inniscarra in the cathedral of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £635. 5. 9., and the value of the prebend, including tithe and glebe, is £1076 per annum. The glebe-house was built by a gift of £100 and a loan of £1500 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1816: the glebe comprises 15 acres. The church, a neat structure on an elevated spot near the road, was built in 1818, by a grant of £1000 from the same Board. In the R. C.
divisions it is the head of a union or district, including the parishes of Inniscarra, Mattehy, and Carrigrohane-beg, and has three chapels, two of which, at Cloghroe and Berrings, are in this parish. About 30 children are educated in the parochial school, which is aided by the rector, who, with the late Sir N. C. Colthurst, Bart., built a handsome school-house. There are two private schools, in which are about 200 children, a Sunday school, and a dispensary.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.