1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Inishcarra contained the following places:
"INISHCARRA, a parish and the seat of a post-office in the barony of East Muskerry, county Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 5 miles S.W. of Cork. It is 8 miles long by 4 broad. The parish is watered by the rivers Lee, Dripsey, and Bride. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Cloyne, value £332, in the patronage of the bishop. The church was built in 1820 by means of a loan from the late Board of First Fruits. There is also a chapel-of-ease. This parish gives name to a Roman Catholic district, and has three chapels. There are a parish school, two private schools, and a Sunday-school. The dispensary is within the Cork Poor-law Union.
"UPPER DRIPSEY, (and Lower Dripsey) villages in the parish of Inishcarra, barony of East Muskerry, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 5 miles S. of Stuarke. It is situated on a rivulet bearing the same name.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018