The soil of the higher grounds is poor and stony; the system of agriculture, which was previously very backward, has been greatly improved since the opening of the new line of road to Bandon. The seats are Waterfall, the residence of T. Austin, Esq.; and Castle White, of G. M. White, Esq. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Cork, and the corps of the prebend of Inniskenny in Cork cathedral, in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £369. 4.7. The church, a small plain edifice with a low tower and spire, was built by a gift of £600 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1809. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union of Carrigrohane.
About 20 children are taught in the parochial school, which was built and is supported by the present incumbent. About a mile beyond the church, on the old road to Bandon, are the remains of the abbey of Ballymacadane, founded about the year 1450 by Cormac McCarthy, for nuns of the order of St. Augustiue, consisting only of the side walls and gables.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Inishkenny to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W6200866493 (Lat/Lon: 51.849918, -8.552063), Inishkenny which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
562008,566493and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)