In 1651, a desperate battle was fought at Knockbrack, or Knockiclashy, on the borders of this parish, between the parliamentary forces under Lord Broghill and those commanded by Lord Muskerry. Towards the south and south-east the parish is mountainous, and on the east borders on the Bogra Moors: good building stone is found in several places. Kilcorney House, the residence of H. Sherlock, Esq., is an old mansion to which was formerly attached an extensive and finely wooded demesne.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £147. 13. 10. There is neither church nor glebe-house, but a glebe of about 13 acres.
In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the district of Clonmeen: the chapel, a plain edifice, is situated on the road to Cork. About 80 children are educated in two private schools. Some vestiges of the old church still exist in the burial-ground.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilcorney to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W3518189702 (Lat/Lon: 52.056003, -8.945697), Kilcorney which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
535181,589702and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)