This parish, which is bounded on the south by the Atlantic Ocean, comprises 1008 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The northern part is very hilly and the soil shallow, resting on a substratum of clay-slate; but from its immediate vicinity to the sea, whence abundance of sea-weed and sand are procured for manure, it is rendered tolerably productive. In other parts the land is of good quality, and in an excellent state of cultivation, and at Ballycrenan considerable improvements in agriculture are in progress; about three-fourths of the land are in tillage, and the remainder in grazing farms, with some rough mountain pasture.
From its situation about midway between Cable island and Ballycotton bay, and from its fine beach of sand extending in a bold semicircular sweep for nearly four miles, this place is much resorted to for sea-bathing.
At Ballycrenan is a coast-guard station belonging to the district of Youghal. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, episcopally united to those of Kilmacdonough and Garryvoe, forming the union of Kilcredan, in the patronage of the Crown; the rectory forms part of the union of Lisgold and corps of the precentorship in the cathedral of Cloyne. The tithes amount to £120, of which £80 is payable to the precentor, and £40 to the vicar; and the aggregate tithes of the union amount to £455. 1. 11½ The church, erected in 1636, is about to be rebuilt; it contains some monuments to the Tynte family, formerly proprietors of the castle. There is no glebe-house; the glebe comprises ll½ acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Ladiesbridge.
The parochial male and female schools, in which are about 20 children, are supported by Captain Hoare (who gives the house rent-free), Mrs. B. Fitzgerald, and the vicar; and there is a private school of about 20 children. The fine ruins of Ballycrenan castle occupy an eminence at a short distance from the coast, commanding an interesting view of the sea and the beautiful bay of Ballycotton: this castle was built by the Carew family early in the 15th century, and was destroyed in 1641; it was afterwards restored, and occupied till 1798; the Wallis family, who purchased it soon after the abdication of Jas. II., were the last occupiers.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilcredan to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference X0168069441 (Lat/Lon: 51.877704, -7.976325), Kilcredan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
601680,569441and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)