Sheep's Head is situated in 51° 32' (N. Lat.) and 9° 39' (W. Lon.), and is 4 miles (N. N. E.) from Three-Castle Head; between them is the entrance to Dunmanus bay, The parish is in the diocese of Cork; the rectory is impropriate in Lord Riversdale, and the vicarage forms part of the union of Durrus. The tithes amount to £370, of which £135 is payable to the impropriator and the remainder to the vicar; the glebe comprises 5½ acres. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; the chapel is a small plain edifice. On the shore of Dunmanus bay are the ruins of the old parish church, and near it are the remains of the ancient castle of the O'Donovans, built in the 16th century.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilcrohane to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference V8178439382 (Lat/Lon: 51.595151, -9.706676), Kilcrohane which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
481784,539382and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)