In the town, which comprises about 90 houses, are a dispensary and a constabulary police station; and fairs are held on May 1st, June 27th, Sept. 3rd, and Nov. 27th, chiefly for the sale of horses and cattle. The parish is in the diocese of Cloyne; the rectory is impropriate in J. Nason, Esq., and the vicarage is united to the rectory and vicarage of Nathlash or St. Nicholas: the tithes, amounting to £.319. 2. 0., are payable in equal portions to the impropriator and the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kildorrery, which also comprises the parishes of Farihy, Templemollogga, Carrigdownane, and Nathlash. The chapel near Kildorrery, and that at Coolbohoga in Templemollogga are both about to be rebuilt. The pass of Redchair, on the border of this parish, is memorable for the artifice practised by Lord Mountgarret on the Lord- President St. Leger, who, having collected his forces to oppose the passage of the insurgents from the county of Limerick, was deceived by a fictitious commission which Lord Mountgarret produced as from the king, on which the Lord-President disbanded his forces and retired.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kildorrery to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R7069112113 (Lat/Lon: 52.260418, -8.429965), Kildorrery which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
570691,612113and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)