This parish, which is entirely surrounded by Carrigaline, comprises 2004 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £1886 per annum. The soil is good and chiefly under tillage, and the system of agriculture is improving: there is plenty of good limestone.
Here are the Kilnahow flour-mills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Cork, forming the corps of the prebend of Killanully in Cork cathedral, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £170. The church is in ruins, but divine service is performed in a school-room licensed by the bishop.
The glebe comprises 1¾ acre. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Ballygarvan.
There is a parochial school for boys and girls, which was built by Lord Mount-Sandford and W. H. W.
Newenham, Esq., and is entirely supported by the latter; about 50 children are educated in it, and there is also a Sunday school. In the cemetery of the old church is the grave of Father Florence. McCarthy, who died about 1814, which is much visited by pilgrims; and near the churchyard is a holy well.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Killanully to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W6901165545 (Lat/Lon: 51.841833, -8.450348), Killanully which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
569011,565545and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)