The land is generally rocky; about two-thirds are under tillage; but agriculture is in an unimproved state. The substratum is clay-slate, with some calcareous schist and magnesian limestone. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ross, united to Kilfaughnabeg, and in the gift of the Bishop: the rectory is partly impropriate in the Gumbleton family, and partly united to those of Kilfaughnabeg, Kilcoe, Aghadown, Kilcaskin, and part of Tullagh, which form the corps of the archdeaconry of Ross, also in the patronage of the Bishop.
The tithes amount to £590, of which £99. 5. 6. is payable to the impropriator, £195. 14. 6. to the archdeacon, and £295 to the vicar; the entire tithes of the vicarial union amount to £435, and of the corps of the archdeaconry to £774.16. 9. The church, which is a handsome building with a lofty square tower, in the village of Leap, was erected in 1827, at an expense of £900, which was granted by the late Board of First Fruits.
There is a handsome glebe-house, with a glebe of 8a. 10p.
In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also Kilfaughnabeg, and has a large and commodious chapel at Leap. The parochial school is endowed with an acre of land by the late Gen. O'Donovan, and there are three other public schools, in which about 620 children are educated, also a Sunday school supported by the rector and curate. The ruins of the old church are near the village of Leap, the neighbourhood of which is very romantic and beautiful.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilmacabea to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W2132639907 (Lat/Lon: 51.606781, -9.13633), Kilmacabea which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
521326,539907and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)