1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Kilmacabea contained the following places:
"KILMACABEA, a parish in the baronies of West and East Carbery, county Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 4 miles N.W. of Ross-Carbery. Union Hall is its post town. It is 5 miles long by 3 broad. The surface lies between Glendore harbour and the Kilvenog Mountain. Tho soil is mostly poor. One or two small lakes diversify the interior. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ross, value £373, in the patronage of the bishop. The church was a gift of the late Board of First Fruits, in 1828. The Roman Catholic chapel is united to that of Kilfaughnabeg. There are a Sunday and three day schools. Clay slate and limestone are abundant."
"LEAP, a village in the barony of Carbery-East, county Cork, Ireland, 3 miles W. of Roscarbery."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018