Durden, Esq.; Shanagary House, of T. J. Keane, Esq.; Ballybane, of T. Gaggin, Esq.; and the glebehouse, of the Rev. B. Henzell, in the pleasure grounds of which are some fine verbenas and other exotic plants.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £506. 18. 6. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £210 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1805: the glebe comprises 12a. 1r. 21p. The church, which is a remarkably neat edifice, was built in 1800: the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £147 for its repair. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Cloyne, and has a small plain chapel at Shanagary. There are two private schools, in which about 100 children are educated.
At Ballymaloe is a very curious old house, built by the Fitzgeralds, and forfeited in the war of 1641: it is now the property of Mr. Forster, and in the hall are two pairs of elks' horns of very large size, which were found on the estate in 1714. At Shanagary are the ruins of a castle, which was unsuccessfully defended by the Earl of Desmond against Queen Elizabeth's troops: it was held by the Irish in 1641, but was captured by Cromwell, by whose orders it was dismantled.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilmahon to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W9712765453 (Lat/Lon: 51.841857, -8.042416), Kilmahon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
597127,565453and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)