KILMICHAEL, a parish, partly in the Western Division of the barony of EAST-CARBERY, but chiefly, in the barony of WEST-MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (S. S. W.) from Macroom, on the road to Dunmanway; containing 6166 inhabitants. It comprises 20,835 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £9463 per annum; of these, about half is good pasture, one-third arable, and the remainder bog and mountain. The substratum is slaty, containing indications of copper, particularly in the bed of the river Lee, which separates this parish from Kinneigh. Here is a constabulary police station. The principal seats are Cooldaniel, that of J. Barter, Esq.; Carrigbuoy, of E. Barrett, Esq.; and Greenville, of B. Swete, Esq., in whose demesne are some lakes with great numbers of swans and waterfowl; also an ancient rath, now planted, in which a bag of copper coins, and several apartments, communicating by narrow passages, have been discovered. The house was attacked in 1822 by the Whiteboys, who were repulsed, and several of them killed. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cork, episcopally united, in 1797, to part of the rectory and vicarage of Macloneigh, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £692. 6. 2., and of the entire benefice to £942. 6. 2. There is no glebe-house; the glebe comprises 7a. 1r. 18p. The church is a small ancient building. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also Macloneigh, Kilmurry, and Dunisky, and containing three chapels, two in Kilmichael, and one in Macloneigh. The parochial school, in which about 20 children are educated, is aided by a donation of £12. per ann. from the rector; and there are four private schools, in which about 140 children are educated.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.