Its surface is undulating, and its substratum slate: the soil is generally cold and badly cultivated, except the demesne farm of Sir Augustus Warren, Bart., of Warren's Court, which is a large and handsome house in an extensive and well-planted demesne, in which are the ruins of the old church of Kilbarry or Macloneigh.
The other seats are Ballytrasna, that of the Rev. B.
Gash; Shandangan, of S. Penrose, Esq.; Greenville, of B. Swete, Esq.; and Elmville, of T. Gollock, Esq. At the village is a constabulary police station, and fairs are held on Feb. 1st, May 1st, Sept. 8th, Nov. 1st, and Dec 21st., principally for horned cattle and pigs. It is an impropriate cure, in the diocese of Cork; the rectory is impropriate in the Duke of Devonshire, who pays the curate of Moviddy a stipend for performing the parochial duties. The tithes amount to £750, but have not been paid for forty years. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kilmichael, and has a small chapel in the village. There are four hedge schools, in which are about 180 children. Here is the shattered ruin of the ancient castle of Clodagh, built by McCarty More. The remains of the old church are near the village; and near the boundary of Kilmichael parish are the ruins of Dunisky church.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilmurry to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W3904166027 (Lat/Lon: 51.843701, -8.885228), Kilmurry which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
539041,566027and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)