Hide

Kilnamanagh

hide
Hide
KILNAMANNAGH, or KILMANNAGH, a parish, in the barony of BERE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S. W.) from Castletown; containing 5612 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the south-western coast, forming a peninsula between the bays of Bantry and Ballydonagan, and comprises 8895 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3316 per annum. Of these, 3126 are arable, and 5769 bog and mountain. The land is tolerably fertile, and is chiefly cultivated by the spade, and manured with sea-weed and sand. The mountains consist of slate, of which there are excellent quarries at Lickbarren, but imperfectly worked. Asbestos is found at Kenlogh, and near Blackhall; lead and copper ore are frequently discovered in small masses, and iron ore is abundant. At the south-western extremity of the parish is Crow head, in lat. 51° 34' 20" and Ion. 10° 11' 40." Here is also Blackball Head, on which is a signal station, and between it and Sheep Head is the entrance to Bantry bay. Dursey island is separated from the western coast by a deep and dangerous channel, about 50 yards wide, through which the tide runs with great rapidity. There is a coast-guard station at Garinish Point, one of the three in the Castletown district. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ross, forming part of the union of Kilaconenagh; the rectory is partly impropriate in Lord Riversdale, and partly appropriate to the vicarage. The tithes amount to £278. 12. 31/2., of which £130 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is in the diocese of Kerry, and is the head of a union or district, called Castletown, comprising this parish and Kilaconenagh; there is a chapel at Cahirmore. There are five private schools, in which about 380 children are educated. The old church is a picturesque ruin.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

Hide
topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Kilnamanagh which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference V5218543320 (Lat/Lon: 51.62354, -10.135187), Kilnamanagh which are provided by: