Kilquane - Barrymore
KILQUANE, or KILCOAN, a parish, partly in the barony of CONDONS-AND-CLONGIBBONS, but chiefly in that of BARRYMORE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 7 miles (N. E.) from Cork, on the road to Tallow 3 containing 2335 inhabitants. It comprises 5842 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £2725 per annum. The land is generally fertile, but part of it is irreclaimable mountain, and the state of agriculture is improving: the mountain of Knockcumcreagh rises to a considerable elevation, and affords pasturage for cattle. There is a paper-mill at Knockra. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Cork, forming part of the corps of the prebend of Killaspigmullane in St. Finbarr's cathedral: the tithes amount to £265.
The church was rebuilt by a gift of £650 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1820. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Cahirlog, or Glauntane, and has a large chapel at Knockra. There are two public schools, one of which is endowed with a bequest of £10 per ann. from the late Rev. M. O'Keane, in which 250 children are educated; and a private school, in which 40 are educated.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilquane - Barrymore to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W7740580207 (Lat/Lon: 51.974005, -8.329529), Kilquane - Barrymore which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
577405,580207and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)