M. Becher; Clydaghville, of Mrs. Sankey; Lombardstown, of T. Bolster, Esq.; Allworth, of Jas. Hunt, Esq.; Upper Dromore, of the Rev. B. Williamson; Bettesborough, of - Magner, Esq.; and Newberry House, of Mrs. Newman. At Millfort, Lombardstown, and Gortroe are some small flour-mills. A court for the manor of Newberry is occasionally held at Glauntane, for the recovery of debts not exceeding 40s. late currency; and there is also a constabulary police station. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £738. 9. 2¾., and the glebe comprises about 4¼ acres. The church is a plain neat edifice with a square tower, originally surmounted by a spire, which was taken down in 1815. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church: the chapel of Glauntane was rebuilt in 1821, and is situated in a picturesque glen; there is also a chapel at Kilpadder, in a dilapidated state, which is about to be rebuilt. There are places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists and Independents. About 120 children are taught in three public schools, of which one was founded and endowed with 4 acres of land by the Misses Lombard, and is supported by subscription, aided by an annual donation from the rector; another was built by the late, and aided with £10 per annum and school requisites by the present, Mr. Newman, and an annual donation from the Rev. Mr. Becher; the third is held in the Methodist chapel, and supported by subscription.
There are also ten private schools, in which are about 830 children, and three Sunday schools. The late Mrs.
Newman bequeathed £200 late currency, the interest to be divided annually between ten poor men and ten widows, to enable them to provide a dinner on Christmas- day. The late Rev. H. Newman also bequeathed £100 for distribution annually among the poor. The extensive remains of the castle of Dromineen, the ancient residence of the O'Callaghans, occupy a bold and romantic situation on the southern bank of the Blackwater, and command an extensive view of the surrounding country, in which Mount Hilary, the property of Lord Lismore, recently planted by Capt. Townsend, and on which are the remains of an ancient building called Money's Castle, forms a conspicuous and interesting object.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilshannig to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W4914192042 (Lat/Lon: 52.07849, -8.742545), Kilshannig which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
549141,592042and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)