S. E.) from Kinsale; containing 1095 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the southern coast, occupying a peninsulated tract of land projecting boldly into the Atlantic and terminating in Kinmire Point. It is bounded on the west by Oyster Haven, and on the east by the Creek of Donbogue; and comprises 1180 statute acres.
The land is generally good and chiefly under tillage, but the system of agriculture is in a very unimproved state: the chief manure is sea sand; lime is not to be obtained within less than 9 miles distance, and is consequently beyond the means of the ordinary farmer.
Walton Court is the residence of T. Walton Roberts, Esq. Off Kinnure or Keroda Point is a shoal above high water mark, nearly half a cable's length from the west side. At Pallis is a coast-guard station belonging to the district of Kinsale. It is an impropriate curacy, in the diocese, of Cork, forming part of the union of Tracton; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Shannon.
The tithes amount to £86. 8. 11., payable to the irapropriator. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Tracton. There are some remains of the church near the shore of Oyster haven; and at the Point is a small peninsula of about two acres, called Doong, which is joined to the mainland by an exceedingly narrow isthmus, of which the sides rise perpendicularly to more than 100 feet above the level of the sea.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kinure to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W7012251163 (Lat/Lon: 51.71264, -8.432995), Kinure which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
570122,551163and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)