per annum. Of the land, which is of variable quality, that portion situated on the banks of the river is the best: limestone, brownstone, and slate are found in this parish, of which the former is quarried for agricultural purposes, but the latter two are not worked. The only seat is Kilmurry, the residence of Thos. St. John Grant, Esq., beautifully situated in the midst of some extensive improvements at the junction of the two counties, which are here separated only by a small glen stream and a mountain path. It is in the diocese of Cloyne: the rectory is impropriate in Wm. Norcott, Esq., and the vicarage forms part of the union of Kilworth.
The tithes amount to £460, payable in equal portions to the impropriator and the vicar. In the R. C.
divisions it also forms part of the union or district of Kilworth. About 80 children are educated in two private schools. In the demesne of Kilmurry was discovered, some years since, a number of human skeletons, which, combined with the word Kil, has led to the inference that a church or cell to some religious house formerly existed here.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Leitrim to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R8833202121 (Lat/Lon: 52.171279, -8.171273), Leitrim which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
588332,602121and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)