Fairs are held on the 25th of March, 1st and 31st of May, Aug. 31st, Oct. 21st, and Nov. 29th, chiefly for cattle and pigs; a constabulary police force is stationed here; manorial courts are held occasionally, with jurisdiction extending to 40s., and petty sessions on alternate Thursdays.
The parish comprises 3855 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the land in general is good and chiefly in pasture. Limestone is quarried both for agricultural purposes and for building. The principal seats are Altamira, the residence of W. Purcell, Esq., a handsome mansion in an extensive and richly planted demesne; and High Fort, of R. Purcell, Esq., M. D., distinguished for the gallant defence made by its then proprietor, the late Sir John Purcell, against a midnight attack by nearly 20 robbers, whom, though armed only with a case knife, he entirely repulsed; in consideration of which intrepid conduct he obtained the honour of knighthood. Sally Park, the property of Geo. Bond Lowe, Esq., is now in ruins. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, united to that of Kilbrin, together forming the union of LiscarroL in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in C. D. O. Jephson, Esq. The tithes amount to £254, which is equally divided between the impropriator and the vicar; the vicarial tithes of the benefice amount to £547. The church is at Ballygraddy, on the border of the parish of Kilbrin. In the R, C. divisions the parish is the head of a union, comprising also the parish of Churchtown or Bruhenny; the chapel, an old building, is about to be repaired and enlarged; there is also a chapel at Churchtown. About SO children, are taught in a national school; and there are two private schools, in which are about 200 children.
There are very considerable remains of the ancient eastle, which was a quadrangular building, 240 feet long and 120 feet wide, enclosed with walls 30 feet high and defended with two square and four round towers of great strength, parts of which are still remaining.
Near the barracks are some remarkable fissures in the limestone rock; about a mile from the town is a fissure of great depth, called Kate's Hole, which is now closed up; and at Coolbane, to the west of it, is a large rath, now neatly planted, where it is said 17 of the relatives of Garret Fitzgerald, of the house of Desmond, killed in the seige of the castle, were interred.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Liscarroll to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R4607912832 (Lat/Lon: 52.265023, -8.790509), Liscarroll which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
546079,612832and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)