Limestone exists near the border of the adjoining parish of Killanully, but lies too deep for profitable working, especially as an abundant supply is obtained from that parish. The seats are Ballea Castle, the residence of F. Hodder, Esq,; and Rathfeen House, of T. Dorman, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cork; the rectory constitutes the corps of the prebend of Liscleary in the cathedral of Cork, and the vicarage is held in sequestration by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Of the tithes, amounting to £210, five-ninths are payable to the prebendary and the remainder to the Commissioners. Divine service is regularly performed in the parochial school-house. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Ballygarvan and Douglas. The parochial school is partly supported by the prebendary, and partly by the Cork diocesan association; and about 70 children are educated in a private school.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Liscleary to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W7064262731 (Lat/Lon: 51.816629, -8.426451), Liscleary which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
570642,562731and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)