1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Macroney contained the following places:
"MACRONEY, a parish in the baronies of Condone and Clangibbon, county Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 3 miles N.E. of Kilworth. It is 5 miles long by 3 broad. The surface is hilly, comprising some parts of the Kilworth mountains. The rivulet Araglyn and the road from Cork to Dublin pass through the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Cloyne, value with Kilworth, £712, in the patronage of the bishop. The Roman Catholic chapel is united to that of Kilworth. Here is a hedge school. Castlecooke is the chief seat. The parish is the site of a police station. Limestone and slate are the prevailing rocks."
"COOLANEAGUE, a village in the barony of Condone, in the county of Cork, Ireland, 2 miles from Kilworth."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018