1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Magourney contained the following places:
"MAGOURNEY, a parish in the barony of East Muskerry, county Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 7 miles E. of Macroom, containing its post town Coachford. The parish extends over an area 5,869 acres, lying between the rivers Lee and Dripsey. The road from Cork to Macroom traverses the interior. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Cloyne, value £555, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is an old building. The Roman Catholic Chapel is united to that of Agabullogue. There are two or three day schools. Dripsey House is the chief seat. A dispensary in the parish is within the Macroom Poor-law Union. Some remains are seen of the old church of Kilcolman, likewise of Macarthy's castle. Building-stone occurs within the limits."
"COACHFORD, a village in the barony of East Muskerry, in the county of Cork, Ireland, 6 miles E. of Macroom."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018