Parsons Boland, Esq.; Ardmore, of J. Roberts. Esq,; Grove Hill, of J. C. Irvine, Esq.; Rockenham, of Noble Johnson, Esq.; Greenmount, of E. K. Percy, Esq.; Horse Head, of Samuel Lane, Esq., an elegant mansion in the Tudor style of architecture, situated amidst beautiful scenery; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. R. Lloyd; besides which there are numerous villas, cottages, &c, principally occupied during the summer months by merchants and other inhabitants of Cork. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter, to whom the rectory is appropriate: the tithes amount to £69, granted by the dean and chapter to the perpetual curate. The glebe comprises 8 acres; the glebe-house was built, in 1813, by aid of a gift of £450 and a loan of £50 from the late Board of First Fruits. The church, situated in the town of Passage, was a small edifice, built in 1684, but it was considerably enlarged in 1808, at the expense of the dean and chapter, aided by local contributions; it is, however, much too small, and is about to be replaced by one which will afford better accommodation to the increasing population. In the R. C. divisions the parish, with Monkstown and part of Carrigaline, forms the union or district of Passage: the chapel is a neat edifice, built in 1832. About 110 children are educated in the parochial schools and in a school in connection with the R. C. chapel; and in five private schools are about 113 children.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Marmullane to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W7611169072 (Lat/Lon: 51.873877, -8.347577), Marmullane which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
576111,569072and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)