The parish comprises 6760 statute acres, as rated for the county cess, and valued at £4391 per ann.; it includes a large tract of bog. Limestone abounds and is burnt for manure, and the state of agriculture is slowly improving. The gentlemen's seats are Killee Castle, the residenceof - Montgomery, Esq.; and Castle Eugene, of E. O'Neill, Esq., M.D. Part of the Earl of Kingston's extensive demesne of Mitchelstown is also within its limits. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in John Nason, Esq.
The tithes amount to £330 per ann., payable in equal portions to the impropriator and the vicar: there is a glebe of about 3 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Mitchelstown, and has a chapel at Marshalstown. About 100 children are educated during the summer in two private schools.
The ruins still remain of what are called "James's churches." from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Marshalstown to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R7728514546 (Lat/Lon: 52.282598, -8.333557), Marshalstown which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
577285,614546and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)