Boles, Esq.; Castletown, of Mrs. Uniacke; Springfield, of the Rev. W. Boles; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. G. Smith. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and forms part of the union of Castlemartyr and of the corps of the prebend of Cahirultan, in the cathedral church of Cloyne: the tithes amount to £435. 12. 7½ The glebe-house, a handsome residence, was built by a gift of £100 and a loan of £1350 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1815; the glebe comprises 22 acres, part of which was given by the Earl of Shannon in lieu of the glebes of Cahirultan and Ballyoughtera, both of which were in the Castlemartyr demesne.
In the R. C. divisions the parish forms the head of the union or district of Imogeely or Castlemartyr, comprising also the parishes of Cahirultan, Ballyoughtera, and Dungourney: the chapel is a large plain edifice, adjoining the old churchyard; and there are chapels at Dungourney and Clonmon. About 80 children are taught in two public schools, of which the parochial school is supported by the rector; and there are three private schools, in which are about 130 children.
There are considerable remains of the old parish church, which was destroyed in the war of 1641; the church-yard is still used as a burial-ground.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mogeely to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W9612875358 (Lat/Lon: 51.930877, -8.057013), Mogeely which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
596128,575358and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)