The village consists of 25 small houses. Nohoval House is the property of W. Hungerford, Esq.; the Lodge, the residence of W. Whitney, Esq.; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. W. R Townsend. It is a rectory and perpetual cure, in the diocese of Cork, the rectory forming part of the union of St. Peter's and of the corps of the archdeaconry of St. Finbarr, Cork; the perpetual cure is united with Kilmonogue, and in the gift of the Archdeacon. The tithes amount to £215, of which £140 is payable to the archdeacon, and £75 to the curate, who has also the glebe-house and land. The glebe-house is a neat and commodious edifice, erected by aid of a gift of £450, and a loan of £50, in 1817, from the late Board of First Fruits: the glebe comprises 2½ a. Or. 4p. The church is a small, but very neat, edifice, without tower, spire, or bell; it is furnished with a small, fine-toned organ. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union of Tracton: the chapel is a small building in the village. The parochial school is endowed with two acres of land by the rector: there are also a private school and a Sunday school, the latter under the superintendence of the Protestant clergyman. The most prominent headland in the parish is Barry's Point, where formerly a very strong castle stood, which was taken down during the late war to build a signal tower, now also in ruins.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Nohaval to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W7252252712 (Lat/Lon: 51.726687, -8.398393), Nohaval which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
572522,552712and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)