NOHOVAL-DALY, a parish, partly in the barony of MAGONIHY, county of KERRY, but chiefly in that of DUHALLOW, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (N. W.) from Millstreet, on the river Blackwater; containing 3229 inhabitants. It comprises 16,225 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £6720 per annum. The portion belonging to the county of Kerry forms part of a district called, in the civil divisions, the "East Fractions." The arable land is of medium quality, and there is a considerable quantity of marshy bog. The parish comprises the greater part of the Crown estate of Pobble O'Keefe, on which the village of "King-William's-Town" has been recently erected by Government, and considerable progress has been made in draining, planting, and other improvements, noticed in the article on that place. The new Government road from Killarney to Mallow commences at Shanogh Cross, on the Kerry side of the parish, and at the distance of about a quarter of a mile crosses the Blackwater over a handsome stone bridge, called Duncannon Bridge; it traverses the southern part of the parish, running nearly parallel with the river, and at Clonbanin, in the adjoining parish of Cullen, forms a junction with the other new line of road from Mallow to Castle-Island, which passes through the northern part of the parish. The old road from Shanogh Cross to Mount Infant is now being extended to the last-mentioned road at King-William's-Town, thus forming a direct communication between those two new and important lines of road. At Knocknagree is a large flourmill, and four fairs are annually held there, of which the principal is that on the 28th of April. During the disturbances of 1822, a detachment of the military was stationed at this village. The parish is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe: the rectory is partly appropriate to the deanery of Ardfert, and partly impropriate in the Earl of Donoughmore; and the vicarage forms part of the union of Drishane. The tithes amount to £280, of which one-half is payable to the incumbent, £9. 2.3.
to the dean, and the remainder to the impropriator. In the R. C. divisions it is partly in the union or district of Boherbee, but chiefly in that of Knocknacoppel, or East Kilcummin: there is a small chapel at Knocknagree.
About 120 children are educated during the summer in two private schools, and the late Mr. Cronin, of the Park, near Killarney, has recently bequeathed £30 per annum for the establishment and support of a school in each of the parishes of Kilcummin and Nohoval-Daly. There are some vestiges of the old church in the burial-ground.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.