Hide

Ringcurran

hide
Hide
RINCURRAN, a parish, partly in the barony of KINNALEA, but chiefly in that of KINSALE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER; containing, with part of the town of Kinsale, 3758 inhabitants. This place was the scene of some sharp conflicts while the Spaniards held possession of the town of Kinsale in 1600; the castle of Rincurran was besieged by Sir George Carew in person, and defended by a garrison under a Spanish commander, who made repeated offers to surrender upon terms. Sir George refusing these terms, and insisting on an unconditional surrender, the commander resolved to blow up the fortress, but the garrison compelled him to yield, and in compliment to his gallantry he was permitted to wear his sword and to deliver it into the hands of Sir George himself. In 1656 the castle was demolished by order of Cromwell, and in 1670, another was erected on its site by the Duke of Ormonde, at an expense of £75,000, and named Charles Fort in honour of Chas. II. It contains platforms for 75 pieces of cannon, of which only 35 are now mounted, with accommodations for the staff, barracks for 400 men, an armoury, and two bombproof magazines; it completely commands the harbour of Kinsale, and is strongly garrisoned under the superintendence of a governor and fort major.

The parish, which is bounded on the south by the harbour of Kinsale, and on the east by Oyster haven, comprises 5186 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £5511 per annum. The land is of medium quality; about four-fifths are under tillage; the system of agriculture is improved; about 150 acres of marsh have been recently brought into cultivation, and there is neither waste land nor bog. Rathmore, the seat of J. Thos. Cramer, Esq., is a handsome mansion embosomed in flourishing plantations and finely situated on the peninsula between the harbour of Kinsale and Oyster haven. Knuckduve, the seat of Lieut-Gen. Sir Thos.

Browne, K. C. H., is beautifully situated above Oyster haven, and commands from different parts of the grounds a variety of picturesque and interesting views.

There are also, in the parish, Long Quays, the residence of the Rev. J. B. Creagh; Cove Cottage, of J. Daunt, Esq.; Snugmore, of C. Newenham, Esq.; Harbour Hill, of A. Dorman, Esq.; Cove House, of Major Heard; and Heathfield, of H. Bastable, Esq. Scilly and Cove, two small villages in this parish, are much frequented during the bathing season, and contain some modern villas and handsome lodges, which are occupied by gentry from various parts of the country. A regatta is held generally in July or August, and a race-course has been completed by subscription, on which races are held after the regatta. An extensive and lucrative fishery is carried on at both villages, affording employment to more than 200 men. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes amount to £461. 10. 9¼.; the glebe comprises 3 acres. The church is a small neat edifice with a square tower, and being situated on an eminence, serves as a conspicuous landmark for mariners. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union of Kinsale.

About 50 children are taught in the parochial school, which is supported by the rector, who also maintains a Sunday school. There are numerous remains of forts and intrenchments, but not a vestige of the old castle: the ruins of the old church have disappeared, but the cemetery is still used. Along the shore near Cove and Scilly are several chalybeate springs, but not much used.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

Hide
topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Ringcurran which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W6428452015 (Lat/Lon: 51.719962, -8.517533), Ringcurran which are provided by: