The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
In 1868, the parish of Shandrum contained the following places:
"SHANDRUM, a parish in the barony of Orrery, county Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 4 miles W.S.W. of Charleville, its post town. The surface consists mostly of pasture lands, and part of the red bog is included in this parish. The road from Charleville to Newmarket traverses the interior. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Cloyne, value £615, in the patronage of the bishop. Service is performed in the parish schoolroom, the church being in ruins. There is a Roman Catholic chapel, united to that of Ballyhea, also several private schools. Shandrum House is the chief seat. There are traces of a castle. A fair is held on 25th May."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018