MICHAEL'S-ST, or TEMPLEMICHAEL, a parish, chiefly in the barony of BARRYMORE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, but partly in the county of the city of CORK, 5 miles (N.) from Cork, on the old road to Ballyhooly; containing 529 inhabitants. This parish comprises 2109 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act and valued at £755 per ann.; of these, 1305 acres are in the barony of Barrymore, and the remainder in the county of the city. The land is principally in tillage, and, though stony, produces good crops; there is neither bog nor waste land. The substratum is entirely clay-slate, and there are some quarries of hard compact stone used for building and for repairing the roads. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cork, constituting the corps of the prebend of St. Michael in the cathedral of St. Finbarr, Cork, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £129.10.7. Divine service is performed at present in the school-house at Carrignavar, where a church is about to be built. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Glanmire, or Dunbollogue; the chapel, to which a school is attached, is a small plain edifice. The parochial school at Carrignavar is supported by J.
Mc Carthy, Esq.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Michaels to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W7103480534 (Lat/Lon: 51.976651, -8.422265), St Michaels which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
571034,580534and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)