The substratum is of the schistose formation, changing through all the varieties of transition rocks, strangely mixed with argillaceous grit, which alternates in a remarkable manner; some of this stone is procured for building, but it is very porous and soft. Quarries of indifferent slate are partially worked near Hoddersfield, and at Myrtle Ville; and in several places in the eastern part of the parish is good manganese; that near the siirface, being in a state of decomposition, has prevented any efforts being made to search for the mines.
From the elevated grounds near the church are extensive and magnificent views of the town of Cove and the villages of Monkstown, Whitegate, &c., with the delightful scenery along the shores of the river Lee. On the eastern point of laud, at the entrance to Cork harbour, is Camden Fort, at present under the care of a mastergunner and five men only. The gentlemen's seats are Hoddersfield, the residence of Col. Hodder, a handsome house beautifully situated in a domain of 647 acres, embellished with extensive plantations rising above the Awenbuoy, whence the drive to the house is a mile and a half long through a picturesque glen; Agamarta Castle, of Carew O'Grady, Esq., on an estate of about 800 acres, extending along the south bank of the Awenbuoy, and extensively planted; Cross-haven House, of T. Hayes, Esq., a spacious and handsome structure on the margin of the harbour, and in the midst of a fine old wood; Myrtle Ville, of Dr. Shea; and several ornamental cottages, chiefly occupied in the summer as bathing-lodges.
The living is a rectory and perpetual cure, in the diocese of Cork; the rectory has been united time immemorially to the rectories of Cullen and Templemartin, which three parishes constitute the union and corps of the deanery of St. Finbarr's, Cork, in the patronage of the Crown; the perpetual cure is in the gift of the Dean. The tithes amount to £200, of which £160.7.2. is payable to the dean, and £39.12.10.
(being the tithes of the demesne of Hoddersfield) to the perpetual curate, who has also 12 acres of glebe and the glebe-house. The church is a large edifice, in the early English style of architecture, with a turret and spire, erected in 1778, near the site of a former church; its situation is remarkable, on the summit of the highest ridge that rises west of the mouth of the harbour, and, being whitewashed, it forms a conspicuous and wellknown land-mark. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union of Carrigaline; the chapel is a large plain building. The male and female parochial school is in the village of Crosshaven, and is supported by the perpetual curate; in the chapel-yard is a school under the National Board. The castle of Aghamarta, in the demesne of Carew O'Grady, Esq., was built by the first Earl of Desmond; it stands on the verge of a beautiful and picturesque glen, and consists of a tower, 4 H 52 feet high, partly square and partly octagonal: on the west side are the fragments of a building of two stories; the tipper one, which is unroofed, was lighted by two large semicircular windows on each side: this part of the building, formerly much more extensive, was taken down by a late tenant, and the materials used in the erection of a house and cottages on the estate. On the eastern point of land, close to the inner harbour, was a nearly perfect tumulus, which has been almost obliterated by the excavations for Camden Fort.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Templebreedy to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W7878460037 (Lat/Lon: 51.792795, -8.308222), Templebreedy which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
578784,560037and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)