It is in the diocese of Ross; the rectory is appropriate to the see, and the vicarage forms the corps of the prebend thereof in the cathedral of Ross, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £134.13.11., of which £60 is payable to the prebendary, and the remainder to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The Protestant inhabitants attend divine worship at the church of Clonakilty. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Clonakilty. On the summit of a gentle eminence are the ruins of the ancient parochial church, of which the foundations and part of the walls only remain: in the burial-ground is the shaft of a cross, 11 feet high, set up by the Knights Templars in 1303, who at the period had possession of the whole parish, and from whom it received its present name. Nearly adjoining the ruins of the church is a small circular building, resembling a round tower, but it is not more than six feet in diameter: and in an adjacent field are the remains of a very extensive heathen temple; six of the stones still exist, the centre one being of white quartz and much larger than the rest. This monument of antiquity, near which is a spacious cave, is described in the Philosophical Transactions, No. 471, A. D. 1742, by the then Bishop of Clogher.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Templebryan to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W3824644107 (Lat/Lon: 51.646631, -8.892871), Templebryan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
538246,544107and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)