The Lord Arundel, in the early part of the thirteenth century, built here a very extensive and beautiful castle, called Castle Arundel; it afterwards passed to the Barrymore family, and was by them named Rine or Ring (whence the name of the village); part of the tower is all that remains. The lands of Ring and Lackenduff were granted by Charles II., in 1666, to the corporation of Bandon, but have long since passed from that body. The parish comprises 2049 statute acres, of which 1924 are applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £1006 per annum, 1899 acres are arable, 125 bog, and 25 waste. The land is in general good, and the judicious use of sea-sand and weed for manure, under an improved system of agriculture, produces abundant crops of corn and potatoes. The substratum is clay-slate; quarries of slate are worked, and, as the produce is of a superior quality and held in good repute, are in full operation: some of the inhabitants are engaged in fish- ing. The village of Ring is remarkably well situated for an extensive trade, but, except the export of slate, the only business carried on is in grain, potatoes, and flour, to facilitate which several very capacious stores have been built, connected with which is an extensive flour-mill; 5000 bushels of wheat and 1000 tons of potatoes are annually shipped. Lackenduff is the residence of J. Lucas, Esq.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ross, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £200.5.4. The glebe comprises 11 acres, which has been much injured by the working of a slate quarry for many years. Divine service is performed in a large building at Ring, licensed by the Bishop, and well adapted for the purpose. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district, of Clonakilty; the chapel is a large plain edifice at Darrery.
The parochial school was established at Ring in 1835, and is principally supported by the incumbent; a school is aided by the parish priest; and there is a private school. The ruins of the church form a conspicuous and interesting object on a hill. In the lands of Lackenduff are the remains of an extensive heathen temple; two large stones remain standing near each other; and in an adjoining field is another still larger.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Templeomalus to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W4206440576 (Lat/Lon: 51.61531, -8.837134), Templeomalus which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
542064,540576and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)