The weaving of coarse linen cloth is carried on in the parish. At Ballinaroher are large mills, propelled by the wafers of the Arigadeen, the property of J. Hayes, Esq., where 6000 barrels of flour are annually ground and chiefly shipped for England. Here are several large and very neat houses, the principal of which is Castleview, the residence of J. Hayes, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ross, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in the Duke of Devonshire. The tithes amount to £58, payable to the incumbent. Divine service is regularly performed in the school-house. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Clonakilty. The remains of the old church stand on a gentle eminence, and the burial-place is still used by persons from a considerable distance; in it are the vaults of the Allen family, to whom some extensive tracts of land were granted by Cromwell in 1658. The extensive ruins of Ballinaroher castle are situated on the south bank of the river; it appears to have been erected to protect the old ford here, which was the only pass between Bandon and the entire south-western part of this country. Here was formerly a good family residence of the McCarthys.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Templequinlan to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W4328841769 (Lat/Lon: 51.626147, -8.819668), Templequinlan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
543288,541769and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)