The population are occasionally employed in the fisheries' off the coast.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of T. C. Kearney, Esq.: the tithes amount to £477; the glebe-house was built in 1821, on which occasion the late Board of First Fruits contributed a gift of £100 and a loan of £825; the glebe comprises 28 acres of good land. The church, a very neat edifice in the early English style, with a square tower, situated on the summit of a hill and forming a conspicuous feature in the landscape, was erected in 1821, at an expense of £900, a gift from the late Board of First Fruits.
In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, called also Courceys, and comprising the parishes of Templetrine, Ringrone, and Kilroan; there are two chapels in the district. The parochial schools, near the church, consist of a centre, serving as a residence for the master, and two wings used as the schoolrooms, built in 1822 partly by a grant from the Lord- Lieutenant's fund and partly by the rector, by whom they are supported; and a female school at Garretstown is supported by the Misses Cuthbert. The late Thos.
Rochford, Esq., of Garretstown, bequeathed £1000 to the poor of Courceys barony, in which this parish participates in the annual distribution made according to his will. Near Garretstown is a chalybeate saline spring; and in the mansion, is preserved the collar of gold given by Queen Elizabeth to one of the Roche family, while he was Mayor of Cork, which has descended with the estate to T. C. Kearney, Esq. In the western portion of the parish are the ruins of the ancient church of Crohane, which, prior to the Reformation, belonged to the abbey of Timoleague; and between the church of this parish and Ballinspittle is a very extensive fort, with a treble rampart and intrenchments in a perfect state, where the Danes are said to have been first defeated by the Irish.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Templetrine to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W5723845852 (Lat/Lon: 51.664082, -8.618739), Templetrine which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
557238,545852and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)