Hide

Templeusque

hide
Hide
TEMPLEUSQUE, a parish, in the barony of BARRYMORE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 5¼ miles (N.) from Cork, on the road to Dublin; containing 1289 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the river Glanmire, comprises 4526 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3776 per annum. The surface is hilly, and the soil light and shallow, under which is a brown unprofitable clay; yet by good management and the use of sea sand as manure, the crops equal those of better lands. The land is principally under tillage, and there are some dairy farms of about 20 cows each, which supply butter for the Cork market. The system of agriculture is in general defective on the smaller farms; but great improvement has been made on the lands of Mr. Cremen, who has practised irrigation with success and embellished the lands in his immediate vicinity with thriving plantations. The principal seats are Riverstown, the handsome seat of Jemmett Browne, Esq., formerly the residence of the celebrated Peter Browne and also 4 K of Dr. Jemmett Browne, Bishops of Cork, Sarsfield, an ancient mansion, formerly belonging to that family but now to Mr. Rutland, of Dublin, commanding an extensive and beautiful view down the vale of Glanmire and the opposite bank of the river Lee; and Woodview, the residence of J. Cremen, Esq., who by his active and judicious improvements has contributed greatly to promote a better system of agriculture.

Within the limits of the parish are the Sallybrook paper-mills, the property of James Hodnet, Esq., at present employing about 30, and when in full work 70, persons. The Riverstown woollen manufacture is capable of affording employment to nearly 200 persons, though at present very few are engaged; there are also some extensive bleach-greens and spinningmills.

The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cork, forming part of the union and corps of the prebend of Killaspigmullane in the cathedral of St. Finbarr, Cork, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £300. The Protestant parishioners attend Divine Service at the church of Ballydelahor. In the R. C.

divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Glanmire. About 50 children are taught in the parochial school, which is chiefly supported by the rector.

Nearly adjoining the Dublin road are the ruins of a very ancient castle; and about two miles distant are those of the old parish church.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

Hide
topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Templeusque which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Historical Geography

The civil parish of Templeusque contained the townlands of:
topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W7226079843 (Lat/Lon: 51.970497, -8.404362), Templeusque which are provided by: