Hide

Tullylease

hide
Hide
TULLILEASE, a parish, partly in the barony of ORRERY and KILMORE, but chiefly in that of DUHALLOW, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 7 miles (W. S. W.) from Charleville, on the new road from Newcastle to Kanturk; containing 2155 inhabitants.

It is situated on the river Allua, which flows into the Blackwater below Kanturk, and it comprises 8241 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £4670 per annum. The state of agriculture is rapidly improving, in consequence of the construction of new roads in this district, of which that between Newcastle and Kanturk intersects the parish from the borders of the county of Limerick to John's Bridge.

Some veins of culm have been discovered, but not yet worked; at Ballinaguila is a quarry of fine flagstones; and there are some quarries of good brownstone within the limits of the parish. On the river Allua is a small oatmeal mill. Fairs are held at Tullilease on March 1st, April 29th, June 29th, and Oct. 24th, for cattle, and pigs. The seats are Tullilease House, the residence of J. J. Sullivan, Esq.; and Bellagh, of Edw. Allen, Esq.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the rectory is impropriate in the'representatives of A. Ankittle, Esq. The tithes, amounting to £340, are payable in equal portions to the impropriators and the vicar. There is no church, but divine service is regularly performed on Sundays at Tullilease House. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Freemount; divine service is performed in a private house until a chapel can be built. About 50 children are educated in a private school. Of the ancient priory, which, according to Ware, was founded here by Matthew Mac Griffin for Canons Regular of the rule of St. Augustine, and which was afterwards united to Kells in Ossory, the ruins of the church still exist, and contain a stone effigy, supposed to be that of St. Barnabas, the patron saint: the burial-ground is still used.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

Hide
topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Tullylease which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R3684616365 (Lat/Lon: 52.295784, -8.926379), Tullylease which are provided by: