Hide

UNKNOWN

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

In 1868, the parish of Unknown contained the following places:

"UNKNOWN, In the gazetteers I have, the places given below are not associated with a parish. Do you know which parish they are/were in ? If so, please drop me a line via my error page (see bottom of page). Many thanks, Colin Hinson."

"ABBEYSTRAND, a village in the barony of Carbery-east, in the county of Cork, and province of Munster, Ireland, 7 miles from Skibbereen, on Baltimore bay."

"ANNAGH, a village in the barony of Orrery and Kilmore, in the county of Cork, and province of Munster, Ireland, 5 miles to the S.W. of Charleville. The manufacture of linen is carried on in this village, which stands on the site of a bog, reclaimed by the Earl of Egmont. The river Awbeg flows by it."

"ARUNDELL MILLS, a village in the barony of Ibane and Barryroe, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 2 miles from Clonakilty."

"BALLINASSIG, (or Ballinhassig), a village in the barony of Kerrycurrihy, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 10 miles to the S.W of Cork. It is a station on the Cork and Bandon railway.

"BALLINAVAR, a hamlet in the barony of West Carbery, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 4 miles to the N.E. of Rosscarbery."

"BALLINGEARY, a village in the barony of West Muskerry, in the county of Cork, province of Minister, Ireland, 13 miles to the W. of Macroom."

"BALLINTEMPLE, a village in the barony and county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 2 miles from Cork."

"BALLYHAURA, a village in the barony of Fermoy, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 3 miles from Buttevant."

"BALLYMACKRAN, a village in Courcey's barony, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 5 miles to the S. of Kinsale. It is a coastguard station."

"BALLYNACREEN, a village in the barony of Imokelly, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 4 miles from Cloyne. It is situated on the sea-coast."

"BALLYNAFAUNA, a village in the barony of Condons and Clangibbon, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 2 miles from Fermoy."

"BALLYNASCARTHY, a village in the barony of East Carbery, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 4 miles to the N.E. of Clonakilty."

"BALLYTROOLEEN, a village in the barony of East Muskerry, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 5 miles from Innishannon."

"BANLAGHAN, a hamlet in the barony of Carbery West, in the county of Cork, and province of Munster, Ireland, not far from Rosscarbery."

"BELGOLY, a village in the barony of Kinalea, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 7 miles to the E. of Kinsale."

"BROOKLODGE, a village in the barony of Barrymore, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 6 miles to the N.E. of Cork."

"CARRIG, a village in the barony of Fermoy, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, not far from Mallow."

"CARRIGANAFFRIN, a hamlet in the barony of West Muskerry, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 8 miles to the S.W. of Macroom."

"CARRIGBOG, a hamlet in the parish of West Carbery, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 6 miles to the S.W. of Bantry. It is seated near the head of Dunmanus Bay."

"CARRIGCLUHER, a hamlet in the barony of Ibane, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 7 miles to the S.E. of Clonakilty. It is seated on the sea coast."

"CARRIGUDROHID, a hamlet in the barony of East Muskerry, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 5 miles to the E. of Macroom. It is near the river Lee. A fair is held annually on the 24th June."

"CASINO, a hamlet in the barony of Kinalea, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 6 miles to the N. of Kinsale. It is not far from the river Bandon."

"CASTLE BLAGH, a village in the barony of Fermoy, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 7 miles to the W. of Fermoy."

"CHARLES-FORT, a fort of considerable strength near Kinsale, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland. It commands the entrance to Kinsale Harbour, and was built in 1670. The remains of the old port are to be seen on the opposite shore. In 1691 they were both surrendered to the Earl of Marlborough."

"CLASARINKA, a hamlet in the barony of Imokilly, county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland. It lies near Castlemartyr."

"CLASHEENNAGNAW, a hamlet in the barony of Carbery-West, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 2 miles to the N.W. of Skibbereen."

"CLASHMABROCK, a village in the barony of Fermoy, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 4 miles to the S. of Doneraile."

"CONNONAGH, a village in the barony of East Carbery, in the county of Cork, Ireland, 3 miles N. W. of Ross Carbery"

"COOLACLONE, a hamlet in the barony of West Muskerry, in the county of Cork, Ireland, 8 miles, S.W. of Macroom."

"COOLAVOTA, a village in the barony of Duhallow, in the county of Cork, 3 miles N.W. of Kanturk."

"COOLCARRON, a village in the barony of Fermoy, in the county of Cork, Ireland, 2 miles from Fermoy, and 20 N.E. of Cork. It is situated near the river Blackwater."

"COOLDERRAGA, a hamlet in the barony of West Muskerry, in the county of Cork, Ireland, 8 miles S.W. of Macroom."

"COOLEMORE, (or Coolmore), a village in the barony of West Muskerry, in the county of Cork, Ireland, 2 miles from Millstreet. There are also three seats of this name: one in Tipperary, near Fethard; another in Kilkenny, near Thomastown; and the third in the county of Cork, about 3 miles from Cove.

"COONAGHLIN, a hamlet on Bear Island, in the barony of Bear, county of Cork, Ireland."

"CROSSMAHON, a hamlet in the barony of Kinnalmeaky, in the county of Cork, Ireland, 2 miles from Bandon. There is another village of the same name 4 miles S.E. of Macroom."

"CURRAGHANOLOMA, a village in the barony of Condone, in the county of Cork, Ireland, 4 miles N.E. of Kilworth."

"CURRAGHEEN, a hamlet in the barony and county of Cork, Ireland, 4 miles S.W. of Cork."

"DUNBOY CASTLE, in the barony of Bere, in the county of Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, near Castletown. It stands on the shores of Bantry Bay. It belonged to the Sullivans, who placed a Spanish garrison within it. After a severe struggle, in which O'Sullivan was slain, it was captured and dismantled by the English under Sir G. Carew in 1601."

"EAST PASSAGE, a hamlet in the barony of Barrymore, county Cork, province of Munster, Ireland. It is situated on the E. side of Cork harbour, near Queenstown.

"KILCOLMAN CASTLE, in county Cork, Ireland, 2 miles N.W. of Doneraile. It was the seat of the poet Spenser, on the bank of the "gentle Mulla," and the place where he wrote his "Faerie Queen," "Colin Clout's come home again," "State of Ireland," &c. It was burnt by the Earl of Tyrone in 1598, and is now a ruin."

"KILCREA CASTLE, in the barony of Muskerry, county Cork, Ireland, 8 miles N. of Bandon. It is a ruin on the banks of the river Bride, and formerly belonged to the McCarthys. There are also the remains of an ancient friary near the old bridge."

"KNIGHTSBRIDGE, a demesne in county Cork, Ireland, near Macroom."

"KNOCKRAPA, a hamlet in the barony of Barrymore, county Cork, Ireland, 4 miles S. of Watergrassmill."

"LESGRIFFIN, a village in the barony of Orrery, county Cork, Ireland, 3 miles from Buttevant."

"LISLIVANE, a village in the barony of Ibane, county Cork, Ireland, 5 miles E. of Clonakilty."

"LISNEGAR, a demesne of Lord Riversdale, in county Cork, Ireland, near Rathcormack. LOUGHBEG, a village in the barony of Kerrycurrihy, county Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, near Queenstown."

"NEWBRIDGE, a village in the barony of Duhallow, county Cork, Ireland, 2 miles from Kanturk, and 28 N.W. of Cork. It is situated on the river Blackwater."

"NEWCESTON, a village in the barony of Kinalmeaky, county Cork, Ireland, 6 miles N.W. of Bandon. Fairs are occasionally held here."

"OVENS, a hamlet in the barony of East Muskerry, county Cork, Ireland, 7 miles S.W. of Cork, on the river Bride."

"OYSTER, a hamlet in the baronies of Kinsale and Kinalea, county Cork, Ireland, 3 miles E. of Kinsale harbour. It is situated on the coast, and has a small haven, off which lic two dangerous reef's called the Great and Little Sovereign rocks."

"PASSAGE, a village in the barony of Kinsale, county Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 1 mile from Kinsale, and 14 miles S. of Cork. It is situated at the river Bandon's mouth, near Kinsale harbour."

"RATHCOURSEY, a village in the barony of Barrymore, county Cork, Ireland, 3 miles N.W. of Cloyne."

"ROBERTSCOVE, a village in the barony of Kinalea, county Cork, Ireland, 10 miles E. of Kinsale. It is situated on Carrigadda Bay, and is a coastguard station."

"ROSALUCHA, a village in the barony of Muskerry, county Cork, Ireland, 12 miles N.W. of Dunmanway. It is situated in the mountains near the source of the Lee."

"SALEEN, a hamlet in the barony of Imokilly, county Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, on Cork Harbour."

"SHANBALLY, a hamlet in the barony of Kerrycurrihy, county Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 2 miles S. of Monkstown. Shanbally House is the principal residence."

"SHANDANGAN, a hamlet in the barony of East Muskerry, county Cork, province of Munster, Ireland, 4 miles S.E. of Macroom. Petty sessions are held here."

"SUMMER'S COVE, a hamlet in the barony of Kinsale, county Cork, Ireland, on the eastern side of Kinsale Harbour."

"SWANTONSTOWN, a hamlet in the barony of West Carbery, county Cork, Ireland, near Ballydehob."

"WHITEPOINT, a village in the barony of Barrymore, county Cork, Ireland, adjoining Queenstown."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018